What Is Hard Water?
You may have noticed something amiss with your water supply, whether you’ve lived in your home for many years or just moved in. It might smell strange, taste strange, or leave stains on water fixtures like your toilet bowls. These are signs that your home may be experiencing hard water and how to resolve your home’s hard water problem. It is important to understand how to fix hard water problems in your home.
Hard Water Defined
Hard water is water that contains high levels of minerals. This is the water that we get when soft water flows through the ground containing chalk and limestone. It becomes hard when calcium and magnesium carbonates are added to the soil. They differ in how grayish limescale deposits are found in dishes, bathtubs, and taps. You will also have different heating costs and appliances’ efficiency. You will notice the first signs that your area has hard water. This could be the formation of limescale in water heaters or kettles, and a lack of soap foam. It will also affect your skin (it’ll dry out) and hair (it’ll become dull and brittle).
How To Tell If Your Home Has Hard Water?
Water quality will vary depending on the country. It all depends on how much calcium carbonate is present. The USA law recognizes water as soft if it contains 60 mg/l calcium carbonate. This level is 50 mg/l in most European countries. Water in most US states is extremely hard due to the high limestone content in waterways. About 85% of America’s water is considered hard. Many households, therefore, use water softeners in order to make the water softer.
Hard Water Impacts Your Body
Although drinking hard water isn’t generally harmful, it can have adverse effects on your health. Skin irritation is one of the most common problems you might notice. It can worsen eczema or psoriasis. Because hard water has a high level of minerals and soap residue, it can dry out your skin. Hard water can also dry out hair, leading to hair breakage or even hair loss.
Hard Water Effects On Your Home
Scaling in pipes and heaters is caused by calcium and magnesium salts. An overabundance of these minerals can lead to many appliance problems. The minerals in the water will start to build up, restricting water flow. Hard water scales can cause serious damage to appliances and make them less efficient over time. Do not ignore your hard water problem. You will need to replace all appliances that use water (washer, dishwasher, ice machine, etc.
What Is A Water Softener?
Let’s suppose you now know that you have hard water problems. What now? How do you soften your water? The best way to solve the problem is a water softener. What is a water softener? A water softener is a good investment, high-quality water softeners are devices that go through a filtration process and an ion exchange process in order to remove calcium and magnesium. The mineral tank will force the hard water to pass through it during watering softening. There, it will encounter resin beads. Resin beads are typically made of polystyrene and are charged with sodium ions. They attract because they have a negative charge and calcium and magnesium minerals have positive charges. The beads attract water when it passes through them.
How Do You Know If You Have Hard Water?
There are many ways to determine if your home has hard water. Although professional testing will provide the most accurate results, it is important to be aware of any distressing signs.
- Your dishes are stained: If your dishwasher has chalky streaks or spots, this could be a sign that soap was left behind in the washing process. Hard water can make it difficult to rinse off soap and detergent. This is a sign that your water quality may be compromised.
- Soap scum buildup: If your bathtub, shower, or tile has more soap scum, you may have hard water. This can also be caused by soft water, but it is more common in hard water.
- Laundry concerns: You know that soap residue can build up in the water. This means that it could also show up in your laundry. Hard water can cause clothes to feel stiff and scratchy, as well as detergent residue. You may also notice a decrease in the performance of your appliances and possibly need to have them replaced because of scale buildup.
- Hard shower water: Sometimes, just the act of taking a bath can cause problems. It can be difficult to get shampoo or conditioner off your hair and skin with hard water. This can lead to a frustrating situation.
- Dry skin: The soapy film can be difficult to remove and cause skin irritations if it remains on your skin. This can cause dry, irritated skin which would not otherwise be present if the water were soft.
- You notice a funny taste: Water that is poured from the tap may taste funny or unusual. This could be due to hardness. Hard water is described by people who say that the water tastes or smells metallic, sulfuric, and sour.
For new homeowners, hard water can present a problem. Knowledge is power. You should be knowledgeable about your water supply in order to make sure it is safe, clean, quality, and soft. You can restore water quality and improve your home’s health by understanding what hard water is. To find the best solution for you, schedule a consultation with an expert about water softener installation in Tampa, FL. Homeowners need to be aware of all possible problems. A home water test is the best way to check the water’s chemistry.
About One Green Filter Today
One Green Filter is known as the best water softener company in Tampa. We were founded in 2017 with the mission to eliminate single-use plastic bottle waste. Since then, hundreds of people and businesses have been able to make their homes more eco-friendly and get safer cleaner water. We are committed to being the best water softener company by providing the highest quality drinking water for your home and businesses. We live in the area and know the best ways to improve the water quality.
We offer a complete warranty on all work, including labor and parts. We want your system to last for many years. We want to offer the best support for water purification. Shop our water filtration products, view our special offers, or talk to one of our experts if you have any questions or need ongoing testing, maintenance packages, or a new installation.
Our commitment has led us to receive a 5-Star Google review rating, making us one of the most trusted Water Filtration Experts in the Tampa Bay Area. No obligation is required to get free estimates or in-home demonstrations for your water softener. For more information and to schedule an appointment to test your water quality at your convenience, contact us today.